Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:20:40 GMT
From:      Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net, dbutter@wireless.net, freebsd-small@freebsd.org, jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

Warner Losh wrote:
>In message <20001218151235.D69041@peorth.iteration.net> "Michael C
>. Wu" writes:
>: IIRC, NetBSD doesn't have the newer StrongARM SA-11xx ports.
>: And that's why we have to work from ARM/Linux.

>In conversations that I had with an unnamed vendor a while ago, the
>newer parts should be just a few days of casual effort to incorporate
>into NetBSD.  The glue chips for the eval boards likely would be more
>work, but the mods for the new CPU would be farily minimal.

The mods to recognize the new CPU are only "a few days casual effort",
but writing the extra device drivers has taken several weeks.

I have been doing plenty of other stuff as well, so it wasn't a huge
amount of work, but there are still several more drivers to be
written.

Porting FreeBSD to the SA-110 or Xscale 80200 would be a fair bit
easier than porting to the SA-1110 or Cotulla, since the first two are
PCI bus devices.

I would be interested in working on FreeBSD/ARM, but I would like to
get the SA-11x0 NetBSD/arm32 port finished first.

Robert