Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:30:18 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        dmitry@karasik.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 weak connectivity

Dmitry Karasik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone experienced problems with ath0 giving bad connectivity on
> 6.1-STABLE? My wireless card reported as Atheros 5212 rapidly loses
> connectivity if I move it more than 2-3 meters away from the access
> point, but the same notebook connects well from under windows.
>
> I tried both kernel with both old device ath_rate_sample and ath_rate_onoe,
> tried to play with AP's settings, changed transmit rate and beacon
> interval, nothing helps. One interesting thing though is that "ifconfig ath0
> scan" reports my station as configured to 119ms beacon interval, while
> it is set to 100ms actually.
>
> Anything else I can try?

ifconfig ath0 scan doesn't report your local configuration, it triggers
a scan and reports the scan results.  If your local station thinks the
beacon internal is 119ms when it's really 100ms then something is very
confused but it's unlikely to cause "bad connectivity" (unless you're
operating the station in power save mode which isn't currently possible).

I do not understand what "bad connectivity" means.  If you provide
information like the mac+phy revs for the card, hal version, and
statistics from programs like athstats then it might be possible to
identify what's wrong.  Otherwise look at turning on debugging at the
net80211 layer with wlandebug.  Both athstats and wlandebug are found in
src/tools/tools (under net80211 and ath respectively).

	Sam