Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:03:13 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 04:06:24AM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Luke Hollins <lwh@pathcom.com> wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
>  > I was using sysinstall the other day and hit Auto defaults just to see
>  > what it suggested, and got this on a 20GB disk:
>  > wd0s1a    /               50MB UFS Y
>  > wd0s1b    swap           651MB SWAP
>  > wd0s1e    /var            20MB UFS Y
>  > wd0s1f    /usr         18849MB UFS Y
>  >
>  > the /var one struck me as really bad just thought i would mention it
>
> I think 20 Mbyte is perfectly OK.  More than that would be a
> waste of diskspace on a workstation.  And if you're installing
> a server, you probably don't use the "A"uto defaults anyway.

I disagree.  It would be true if people only processed text documents
and sent e-mail through /var/spool, but today there are office suites to
contend with.  A 20Mbyte print job is not all that unreasionable for a
large Powerpoint presentation, especialy if it has a background image.
I once printed one that was averaging about 1MB per page and was nearly
30 pages long.  It's even worse if you have to rasterize the thing
localy with ghostscript.  A full page 600dpi image is freaking huge.
We've got a native office suite now, it would be nice it it worked well
by default.  (While I'm at it, the default print spool file size limit,
1MB, is rediculous.)

-- Brooks