Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:01:48 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>, David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happenend to amd?

Scott Mitchell wrote:

> The developers realised what they had spawned, and crept off to live in a
> cave on a mountain somewhere :)  The manpage has it exactly right when it
> says:
>
> "A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of all the
> features."

I once had the unenviable job of writing a Sun-style automount map
parser.  We had a program that was supposed to be able to check files
in user's home directories, and only check the ones that were actually
hosted on THIS machine, to avoid automount storms.

My first cut worked no-so-well, but then we had a new guy, a friend of
mine from college, come to work for us.  I pushed the job off onto him,
and he finished it in an amazing 11 months.  Ugh.

> Still, it does the job admirably well:  here we have several hundred
> machines, 5 different OSes, all automounting madly from a mixed bag of
> FreeBSD/SunOS/Solaris servers.  I've only ever seen it die due to pilot
> error, which is more than you can say for Sun's efforts in the same line.

Good, then you can take a swing at answer this.  First, the amd command:

amd -p -k i386 -l syslog /home /etc/amd.home

/home is (of course) where our home directories need to show up.
The /etc/amd.home map looks like:

/defaults       type:=nfs;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,grpid
jer             rhost:=thrallo;rfs:=/export/home/jer
wpeters         rhost:=salty;rfs:=/export/home/wpeters

Now when I try to login to one of these accounts, or just cd to their
home directory, I get:

bash-2.01# cd ~jer
bash: cd: /home/jer: No such file or directory

But mount shows:

bash-2.01# mount
/dev/sd0s2a on / (local)
/dev/sd0s2f on /usr (local)
/dev/sd0s2e on /var (local)
procfs on /proc (local)
amd:2372 on /home
thrallo:/export/home/jer on /a/thrallo/export/home/jer

and the following filesystem entries:

bash-2.01# ls -l /home
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  30 Nov 13 11:32 jer -> /a/thrallo/export/home/jer/jer

and /a/thrallo/export/home/jer is mounted and readable.

So, what's up?  Have I hosed the configuration somehow?

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com