Date:      Thu, 1 May 2003 16:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 Resolver (or: Slow rendering of Webpages using Konqueror)

On 1 May 2003, Dan Pelleg wrote:

> For me, running linux-mozilla under the Linux emulation "solved" the
> problem. IIRC there was a discussion either here on on questions@ regarding
> this a few months ago. I didn't follow the details, but I think the problem
> was determined to be in libc.

Okay, there are several things being mushed together here.  Let me see if
I can sort them out:

1) ad.doubleclick.net doesn't handle AAAA requests properly

Solution: complain to ad.doubleclick.net

2) There is no global way to make IPv6 go away in kernel, world, and ports

This seems to be a FreeBSD bug.  The intent with the ability to remove
IPv6 from the kernel config and set ipv6_enable to no would seem to
indicate that somebody wants to be able to shut off IPv6.  The fact that
the resolver still executes an IPv6 request would appear to be breakage.

3) Mozilla/Konquerer/whatever completely hangs during the timeout period
on the AAAA record request

*Whose* bug is this?  Is this a FreeBSD bug or a Gecko bug?  Or both?
And, if it is a FreeBSD bug, where is the bug?  The main dns resolver or
the ports makefile?

4) How is anyone short of guru status supposed to connect "Mozilla chokes
on FreeBSD" with "the DoubleClick DNS server config is broken"?

If this behavior is indeed deemed "not a bug", then some piece of
prominent documentation needs to explain this for idiots like me.

Have I missed anything?  I am asking these questions so that I can file
the appropriate bug reports.

Thanks,
-a