Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:06:04 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: Second zone allocator patch

* John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> [010123 11:53] wrote:

> On 23-Jan-01 Bosko Milekic wrote:
> >> hardware interrupt handler blocking and stalling other interrups, Jake
> > and I
> >> have toyed with the notion of creating a new kthread to run the other
> > handlers
> >> when an ithread blocks on a mutex, so that the other handlers wouldn't be
> >> broken.  For hardware interrupts, this would require a refcount on the
> > intrhand
> >> "interrupt source" so that the interrupt can be re-enabled when the
> > refcount
> >> hits 0.  However, this is only in conceptual stage right now, and as an
> >> optimizaation, is a bit down the priority list.
> >
> >   Icky. I would have thought that there would have been an alternative way
> > to solving this. But let's wait until we're ready.
>
> No more icky than light weight ithread switches.  Much less, in fact.

afaik, most software interrupts are basically there to process queues.

You can use the queue lock to protect the counter, if the counter is
exceeded the thread can call kthread_exit (or whatever) and destroy
itself.  If a queueing process finds that all software threads are
currently active it can spawn a new thread as long as the count is
below a threshold.

Basically a high and low watermark would suffice, or you could use
a high count and if N number of software interrupt threads were
waiting then they would destroy themselves.

Not icky... but actually interesting. :)