Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 06:04:21 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@easynet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote cvs access

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 07:18:21PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Here's what finally worked for me:
> >
> >    ssh -2 -N -f -L 2401:cvs.example.org:2401 localhost
> >
> > where cvs.example.org is the hostname of the cvs server in question.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > The next thing that concerns me is the following output from tcpdump.
> > Hostnames have been changed:
> >
> > 19:04:52.140672 host.example.org.1156 > cvs.example.org.cvspserver: . ack
> > 660 win 17520 (DF)
> > 19:04:52.140907 cvs.example.org.cvspserver > host.example.org.1156: P
> > 660:697(37) ack 1346 win 17520 (DF)
> >
> > Why am I seeing traffic on port 2401?
> >
> > Given what I've read in man ssh, I'm hoping that this traffic across the wire
> > isn't actually on port 2401 and is encapsulated within the ssh connection:
> >
> >      -L port:host:hostport
> >              Specifies that the given port on the local (client) host is to be
> >              forwarded to the given host and port on the remote side.  This
> >              works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side,
> >              and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connection is
> >              forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is made to
> >              host port hostport from the remote machine.
> >

> Well, for me your ssh command is weird:
>
> ssh -2 -N -f -L 2401:cvs.example.org:2401 localhost
>
> this line create a secure channel from localhost to localhost and the
> forwarding is made over this tunnel: it's what i understand...
>
> Try ssh -2 -N -f -L 2401:cvs.example.org:2401 cvs.example.org
> (i guess you own a ssh acces on that box).

BTW: I have been able to get an ssh tunnel going by using TerraTerm
SSH.  I ssh from my NT workstation to the remote box.  The NT box is on
the same LAN as the cvs server.  I then redirect remote port 2401 to local
port 2401 on the cvs server.  Works fine.  Given that I usually shh this
way, I should be fine.  But I would like to find an ssh solution (versus a
TTSH solution).

thanks