Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 10:35:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidc@pdd.3com.com (David Clear)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC configuration advice wanted.

> I'm very close to buying what Gateway here in the UK call a
> a "P5-90 Premium Multimedia".  This has:
>
> 	P90 Processor
> 	16MB EDO RAM
             ^^^^     Implies Triton chipset and PCI bus
> 	1Gb EIDE disk
> 	Quad speed CDROM
> 	17" Vivitron monitor
> 	2Mb Graphics card (ATI Mach 64 (?????))

The IDE interface on most of these Triton/PCI boards is an RZ1000.

The RZ1000 is known buggy.  1/3 of all IDE controllers are RZ1000.

They can't handle an interrupt while doing DMA.  This won't bother
you on FreeBSD, but on Win95 and Linux, you will get silent data
corruption.  On Win95, you can work armound it by losing most of
your system performance by turning off 32 bit disk I/O.

Personally, I'd recommend an NCR SCSI controller, which is about
$40-$60 US.  For bigger disks, the prices are the same or lower for
SCSI.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---