Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2013 23:06:06 +0000
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <freebsd-list@nuos.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing: nuOS 0.0.9.1b1 - a whole NEW FreeBSD distro, NOT a fork

On 07/07/13 22:05, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> <trolling side comment>
>     omg you've created Solaris
> </trolling side comment>
> ------------
> If you're going to spam commercial stuff with absolutely no
> technically interesting details - please keep it brief at the least.
>
> Generally people will be curious about
> What are you actually adding to the ISO which FBSD-current can't do?
> If it's not upstream already - will it be contributed upstream?

Please reply further on freebsd-chat, I'd like to consolidate any
discussion this may garner.

This doesn't provide anything to the core OS that can't already be done,
albeit with many more keystrokes and the peril of possible confusion and
misconfiguration. The main thing here is a collaboration of what we
consider best practices and consolidating the more useful configurations
into consistent recipes with useful simplification of parameters. We
don't mean to add yet another layer in the name of simplicity that
obscures or hides the real nuts and bolt beneath and limits your options.

We want to make things more flexible and easier at the same time by
using the sanctioned FreeBSD ways of doing things, simply allowing the
ones with most merit to rise to the top, hopefully through community
involvement. We've had a lot of success using this in our production
deployments and hope that we don't have to be the only ones to maintain
it forever. It is an open offer of contribution to The FreeBSD Project
but it probably doesn't exactly belong there yet. It's a layer above, so
to speak, and we think we have a place in the community working side by
side.

It's a distro around FreeBSD, think picoBSD or maybe FreeNAS. It's not
going to be a fork like PC-BSD or Dragonfly. I'm hoping we can be a
proving ground for the more advanced features of FreeBSD, by allowing
more users to jump on board with them sooner, and then offer the
applicable bits and pieces back upstream while continually pushing the
innovation envelope in a way that more people and companies can
participate in.

The tool nu_install is basically sysinstall on steroids. It doesn't do
all the things that sysinstall does and you may still use sysinstall to
configure a system or a jail you've provisioned with nu_install or
nu_jail. nu_install automates a process of building a ZFS only FreeBSD
system and offers a default dataset layout featuring best practices
we've deduced from using ZFS on FreeBSD since its infancy and reading
and considering many various differing and conflicting ZFS on root
how-tos. For instance, many ZFS on root tutorials use a UFS /boot
partition and/or mountpoint=legacy and entries in /etc/fstab. We suffer
neither of those holdovers. Another feature I've not yet found in any
tutorial is /etc having its own dataset.

nu_jail creates cloned datasets and jail.conf entries along the school
of thought set out by our nu_install base system. Jails in FreeBSD allow
many use cases that were never dreamed of on other platforms and we
don't seek to force any particular cookie-cutter way of provisioning a
jail, just simplifying the uses that we've found most common. We wanted
ease and simplicity but refused to give up less-common possibilities or
give up the simplicity just to tweak something a little differently to
do something that's never been done.

Thank you for reading and offering your thoughts. LOL @ the Solaris
comment, as I am a long-time Solaris user and fan but always been a
bigger fan of the BSDs and FreeBSD mostly in particular for the last decade.

In short, we seek to do with FreeBSD something like what Joyent has done
with illumos in their SmartOS but then continue further with that idea.