Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 00:55:22 -0400
From:      Steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to format an external usb drive with a freebsd partititon under freebsd 5.3

I've done a google search, read the freebsd handbook and searched the
mailing list archives...maybe I'm not using the right search terms but I'm
not finding the information I need...or I'm misunderstanding something on a
fundamental level.

I have a 120 gig western digital usb drive with a FAT32 file system
connected to a freebsd 5.3 box that I can mount and read/write to okay
.  But (and I think this is correct) when I backup files from my freebsd
5.3 box to this drive, the file permissions aren't being maintained.  That
is because it's a FAT32 files system correct?  I've always in the past
backed up linux/freebsd files to other linux/freebsd boxes so this is the
first time I'm dealing with this.

What is the correct way to format this FAT32 usb drive so I can put freebsd
files on it and maintain the proper owner and file permissions.  I've tried
to do this with sysinstall based on the instructions in the freebsd
handbook but I get an error that freebsd can't write the partition.  The
usb drive is currently mounted, is that the problem?

Steve Bopple
www.digitalbluesky.net