Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:56:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Emerson Longley <emerson@WPI.EDU>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> > Speaking of "help" I have always though this sould at least be an
> > alise to man (or "man man", or "man %foo")... but what I really want a
> > clone of the MSDOS 6.xx Help system of the same name, when you typed
> > in help with no args. it would load a "hypertext" curses program that
> > listed all the commands (like "whatis") and then you could select a
> > command for detail info about it. anyways... in the DOS world you
> > always type'd "help, "help foo", or "foo /?" for help so for most
> > people new to unix and freebsd whatis and man are unknow to them.
>

> I may have a simple solution to this: create a new man page named
> "help", in this man page is a brief (newbie oriented) one page guide on
> how to use the man pages and how to find commands to use (whatis /
> apropos, btw who came up with that name? I could not remember it if my
> life depended on it). this man page would then be aliased as "help".
> what do yea think?

IMO, that's a great idea. Actually, OpenBSD does it, so it might be a
useful example. ( http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=help )
Not having a "help" command was a frustration to me a few years back when
I had just started fooling with Unices, so I would like to see the idea
catch on for the sake of all those who are in that position now.

			-Scott Longley