Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:38:32 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        jobse@yapost.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: allowing users to mount cdrom

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

jobse wrote:
> Dear List,
> When trying to mount the cdrom I get Operation not permitted.
> sysctl: vfs.usermount=0(what does that mean and how can I *permanently*
> change it to 1)

It means, that users are not allowed to mount file systems.

To change it, run (as root)
# sysctl vfs.usermount=1

To make this permanent, add vfs.usermount=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf.

Now, regular users are allowed to mount file systems on directories they
own.

> I'd rather not set the sticky bit on mount/umount if I mustn't.

s/sticky/suid/

Simon

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--