Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:09:31 -0500
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        Vlad Skvortsov <vss@ulstu.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read-only /

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:09:25 GMT, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > 	That is shell access server. The configuration has to be secure because
> > we have not much time to watch this box. Everything what's possible is set
> > to r/o; r/w partitions are quotas enabled, noexec and nodev flags are on.
> > The only filesystem left "unsecure" is /.
>
> Since I have never tried it I must say I am slightly suprised
> you can even logon at all if the /dev permissions cannot be
> changed.

	Alternately, would it be possible to put /dev on a separate
read-write partition? Things might get a bit interesting at boot time,
but this would allow you to have a read-write /dev on a read-only /.

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy		Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu			University of Maryland