Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:30:32 -0400
From:      "Kisamore, Dan" <DKisamor@capecod.mass.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Kisamore, Dan" <DKisamor@capecod.mass.edu>
Subject:   natd question...

We're running FreeBSD 3.5.1 w/ natd & ipfw installed. On our internal
network, we
have 3 public network addresses and 1 private network address. What we want
do is to translate only the private network addresses (10.0.0.0) and not
translate the
public addresses. It seems like the "-u" natd flag should do what we want.
The
documentation for this flag states: "-unregistered_only | -u  Only alter
outgoing
packets with an unregistered source address. According to RFC 1918,
unregistered
source addresses are 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16." We have
tried this and find that our private network addresses are not being
translated and are
being blocked by our ISP's router. We are using a class "B" subnet mask on
our 10
network, 255.255.0.0, not the standard class "A" subnet mask of 255.0.0.0.
Could
it be that natd is not recognizing our 10 net with a class "B" subnet as an
unregistered
address? If not, any other ideas or thoughts on how we might accomplish
this? Any
input welcome...

Dan Kisamore