Date:        Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:30:13 +0100
From:      Per_Hallstrom_NV98ATe@teknikum.vaxjo.se (Per         =?iso-8859-1?q?Hallstr=F6m?= NV98ATe)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Strange kernel panics

Hi!

I have had some problems with FreeBSD (sorry to say this). To make a
long story short, i made a benchmarking test on a program (a kind of
server) on my computer, a Pentium III 450, 128MB ram (non-ecc). Well,
the benchmarking program was to test if the program I had written could
handle much load (and not crash). So, the benchmarking program opened
10000-20000 connections (if the kernel hadn't paniced at this point it
would have opened more).

The kernel said that there was a page fault (#12) in kernel mode. Well,
since I had done some experiments (and compiled the kernel with
MaxUsers >512 just to test ;P), I thought that this was it. I
recompiled it, MaxUsers 256. Now it says that there isn't enough
NMBCLUSTERS (or something like that). Well, i recompiled it. It told me
to raise MaxUsers, so I did, to 512. (If I set it >512 it gives me a
warning.)
It still says that it is out of NMBLUSTERS. And then it reboots. Okay,
the kernel runs out of something. But why panic? Why don't kill the
process causing it? Why panic? There must be some way to fix it.. I
hope at least... =)

Well, no computer is made for accepting 20000 connections/second (not a
PIII 450 at least), but it is said that FreeBSD can handle load that
would crush other systems... yeah right.. my father's win95 computer
dosen't crash if I do the same test on it.

The kernel dosen't complain at startup or anything, so there dosen't
seem to be any conflict... (it complained one time when it said that my
FPU wasn't available in kernel mode, but a reboot fixed it).

I would be very thankful if someone knows why this happens. If anyone
have a kernel config file that you know works, mail me... if that is
the problem. And btw, it's FreeBSD 3.4.. maybe the problem is fixed in
4.0?

/Per H