Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 10:00:02 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Thomas Fortin <t14@t14.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setup issue Mailman, Sendmail.

Thomas Fortin wrote:

> Thanks all for the great info you provided about current mailing list managers on
> FreeBSD.
>
> I am setting up Mailman (www.list.org) but get the following error when sending to
> the test list aliases.

>     554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test8"... unknown mailer error 2
>
> I am not sure whether it is because I configured Mailman with the wrong "--with-mail-
> gid" which gid should that be ? or that Sendmail does not allow this yet unknown
> mailer ? how should I add it ?

	What error did sendmail log via syslog for this error?  I've got
mailman running on a 3.4-STABLE box with sendmail 8.9.3 with out any
problems.

	Just off the top of my head I would say that it was because you used
the wrong gid for --with-mail-gid .  The syslog entry for this error
from sendmail should provide you with some more info if I remember
correctly.  Usually if it's the mail gid problem it will say something
along the lines of "expected gid X, got gid Y" which will tell you
which gid you need to use, X.

Joseph Scott