Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 13:39:24 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        "Daryl Chance" <dchance@valuedata.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape Drive:  Rewinding or Non-Rewinding

Daryl,
        Is your tape drive SCSI? If so take everything that follows
with a shaker of salt.
        I've never used flexbackup but I too have a Seagate STT8000A.
If you have the IDE version check your dmesg output and you should see
the tape's device is wst0 which means /dev/rwst0. If you don't have
an rwst0 device you may need to `sh MAKEDEV wst0` (from memory,
double check this and please, no flames).
        As far as blocksizes an `mt -f /dev/rwst0 status` should
return a blocksize of 512. You can use multiples of 512 larger
blocksizes if you have the tape to waste at the end of the archive
(at least my tape seems to want full blocks written even at the end).
        Final piece of advice (at least if your drive is the IDE
version like mine) is don't expect to back up more than one machine
per tape. The second archive on the tape has never worked for me.

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com

Quoting Daryl Chance                                Saturday, August 05, 2000