Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:16:31 -0600
From:      Robin Damm <robin@damm.ca>
To:        Daniel Geske <danielgeske@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote Installation from Sources

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:51:04PM +0100, Daniel Geske wrote:
> So I have this other pc, with a 5gig hd of free space. That's where I'd
> like to install. I just don't want to install from the www (through my
> isdn line) neither do I want to get CDs. Instead, I'd like to install
> from that host FreeBSD already runs on. It cvsups src-all and ports-all
> regularly. Distfiles are kept too. With all the data already downloaded
> onto this computer, I'd like to install from there.
> Here's the question: How do I do it?

I have not yet performed this type of install myself but here are a few
pointers to get you started.

man 7 release

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-build.html

> I suppose I'd have to get a boot floppy for that new host, prepare the
> hd, ...and then? I figure I'd have to run something like makeworld.
> How do I build a system with sources on host A, from host B, for host B?
> Can this be done? Where can I find info on this? Has anyone had
> experience with such procedure? Am I on the wrong way and need more than
> just the sources?

I'm assuming it is as simple as booting from floppies then selecting
ftp/nfs as your media type and pointing it to the build produced by
"make release".

For the record I currently install a new machine by booting from floppies
and doing a minimal install from a local ftp copy of a cd-rom as detailed
in the handbook. Then I mount /usr/src, /usr/obj via nfs from a build box
and run "make installworld" from the new machine.

I just might try a release install over the weekend... thanks for tweeking
my interest :)

--
Robin Damm <robin@damm.ca>