Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:11:29 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sources of entropy in the kernel?

Hi

I am busy updating the entropy (/dev/random) device, and I am looking
for some sources of randomness in the kernel.

I have a copy of Ted Ts'o's code for Linux, an I am busy hammering it
into shape. In order to improve on its value, I would like to be able
to stir in various bits of kernel activity.

To this end, I would appreciate some input, please. (I have very little
kernel knowledge, and not much experience there, so please be patient...)

I am looking for dynamic tables in the kernel that could be "stirred in"
when a user reads entropy, things like process tables, vm status, etc.
(It is important to note that these will only get read when the user
reads /dev/random, not at each "stir" of the pool of entropy). (This
represents a change in my sentiments - I previously believed that
these tables were attackable)

SO... Which tables are available? (Preferably arrays of "stuff" that can
get linearly read. What are their names, and where are they?

vm_page_queues in vm_page.h?

ALSO...

I'd like to make the option (via an ioctl) to hook block devices for
randomness. (The position of an HD's head is a nice source).

Any ideas here?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key