Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:44:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remove old 5.1-* bits

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Makoto Matsushita wrote:

> matusita> And, how about 4.6.2-RELEASE for i386/alpha?  We have removed all
> matusita> packages for 4.6.2 already.
>
> Oops, s/alpha//; (i.e. packages-4.6.2-release is there for alpha).
> Speaking about alpha, there's still 4.4-RELEASE which packages were no
> longer there.
>
> Yet another "removing them all" candidate will be in
> releases/${arch}/ISO-IMAGES directory.

personally we (ftp.au) have archived all the older releases off the main
freebsd area and at this stage are only keeping ISO images and RELEASE trees
for 4.8-RELEASE, 5.0-RELEASE and 5.1-RELEASE for i386/alpha/amd64/sparc64
where relevant.  the same for the package trees (ports)

this means the data set requirements can broadly be classified as (in
order of most demand from mirrors)

FreeBSD releases (per architecture): RELEASE tree and ISO images
FreeBSD packages (per architecture): package tree per release
FreeBSD 'current' packages per architecture: 4-current and 5-current
FreeBSD 'stable' packages per architecture: 4-stable and 5-stable
FreeBSD distfiles and local distfiles
FreeBSD CVSup tree [1]
FreeBSD misc

in the past i have been discussing with murray the possibility of setting
up a 'FreeBSD-archive' server.  i'm hoping to make such a machine available
(assuming it doesn't exist already) sometime next month where all the older
releases can be stored for posterity, hopefully back to 1.0 and beyond.  i
might require some assistance from people to dig up their old FreeBSD CD
sets so we can re-create ISO images to be stored.

it will probably be able to be mirrored from, so if there are sites out there
that would like to keep some of the older releases around, is it ok to
standardize on a directory name of /pub/FreeBSD-archive rather than trying
to keep it 'within' the /pub/FreeBSD tree.

regards,

-jason

[1] the cvsup source tree is in high demand but over a more constant time
    rather than the 'bursts' of a new release.  cvsup users tend to be
    updating their servers more often to the latest -STABLE rather than
    doing 'fresh' installs when a new -RELEASE is out.