Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:55:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd

On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 08:48:06AM -0500, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> I'm running short on hard disk space, and I'm thinking about getting a
> new drive to add to my setup. That leads me to a few ccd questions. I
> hope this isn't a repost. I've been getting my lists now for over two
> days and haven't seen it show up.
>
> 1. Any advice on what to read on ccd. I read man ccd, man ccdconfig,
> and the diskformat tutorial. They seem to be more for the person who
> understands what ccd is but doesn't know how to make it happen on
> FreeBSD.

Yes, the CCD man pages are not the best documentation available.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything better.

> 2. Can you ccd IDE devices,

Yes.

> 3. Can you do ccdconfig at any time. That is, it seems like something
> one would want to do early on, perhaps at the beginning of the
> installation process, and then make file systems on ccd.

I don't think you could have a CCD root file system: there's a chicken
and egg problem inherent in this, since the boot doesn't understand
CCD.  I also strongly suspect that you wouldn't be able to start the
CCD system before installation, though I could be wrong about that.
If I were doing this now, I would probably install normally (if
necessary), back up the non-root file systems, reboot in single-user
mode, repartition and create file systems for CCD, and then restore
the data.

Greg