Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:40:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Stephen Bader <steveb@jorsm.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Virus/Spam Filtering

Thus sayeth the previous author:

 >Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:55:54 -0600 (CST)
 >From: Stephen Bader <steveb@jorsm.com>
 >To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
 >Subject: Virus/Spam Filtering
 >
 >We are in the process of redesigning our mail configuration and would like
 >to implement a new system to filter out spam and viruses. We would also
 >like to implement a new webmail system at the same time. What do you guys
 >recommmend and have had good experiences with? We're considering all of
 >the options at the moment. Any experiences with spam bouncer, IMGate,
 >Amavis, IMP, etc?
 >
 >-Steve

Personally, I use spamassassin to flag emails as spam.  Based on a points
system, the more hit points the email has the more it's considered as
spam.  As the maximum hit count is exceeded the header is rewritten
(optional) and the email is tagged with an X-Spam-Status header.  Modern
MUAs can filter given either of these conditions.

Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48