Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 12:26:39 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Michael Dorin <dorin@puma.chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: micron and gateway

I can't comment on Gateway; however, Micron is a different matter.
Some of their older machines used a braindead version of the Phoenix
Bios. This bios has problems with drives larger than 3.27GB. The
version of the bios that I have is 4.04. There is a replacement bios
that eliminates the problem but you have to purchase the upgrade. If
you have a Micron with this bios, you need to visit
http://www.micronpc.com and follow up on the bios upgrade. The
secondary IDE controller on this motherboard lost functionality, i.e.,
(PIO 2+) disappeared. I was very serious when I said it ran less than
half-fast. I am in the process of replacing the motherboard and will
find out if I have a better version of the Bios. The original was a
rev 1 and the replacement is a rev 4. I could get lucky but on that
machine I wouldn't bet on it <g>.

Kent

Michael Dorin wrote:

> How well does freebsd work on Micron or Gateway systems?
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> -Mike

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html