Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:33:50 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/amd64 Project -- motherboards Call For Update

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Gary Jennejohn
<gljennjohn@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:52:25 +0000
> Piotr Kudzin <piokud84@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is a list of MBs (amd64) supported by FreeBSD:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html
>>
>> I'd like to see an update, how newest releases of FBSD handles recent
>> desktop and server solutions. Release Notes often lists hardware as
>> supported, and it works, but not always as it should. I'd like to see yo=
ur
>> opinions, what and how good or bad works.
>
> Good luck with this.
>
> I submitted a PR almost 2 years ago and it was closed with this
> response:
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: brueffer
> State-Changed-When: Fri Oct 30 20:19:34 CET 2009
> State-Changed-Why:
> The mainboard list has been removed, as it does not serve a useful
> purpose anymore nowaways. =C2=A0Nontheless, thank you for your submission=
!

> That's why the most recent entries are for a release which is already
> several years old.

That's too bad.  I was just recently (last week) looking at this web
page trying to find a newer motherboard to replace our Tyan h2000M
boards to support the newer AMD Opteron CPUs, and was just lamenting
to myself about how out-of-date it was.

At the very least, it would be nice if there was a way to add
server-class hardware to a "supported hardware" web page like this.
It's such a pain going through all the info online about server
chipsets and figuring out which are fully supported by FreeBSD (and
Linux).

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com