Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:37:58 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [hackers] Re: swap & huge mem systems

>> Personally, in your situation I would probably configure enough
>> swap to be able to catch a core dump and not much more,
>> i.e. slightly more than 1G swap.

Chuck> Probably a good compromise, it just feels silly to go for a G
Chuck> of swap when I will probably never use more than 256M (and that
Chuck> not very often).  I mostly compile, edit, and web-browse.
Chuck> Thanks for the confirmation (I suspected this answer, but I
Chuck> feel better now about it).

Personally, I have an old 6gig drive on which I have a dump partition
(it doesn't need to be active swap).  6gig drives are too slow to be
useful these days.

I generally allocate 4 swap partitions on fast drives where each is
about 1/2 of memory (2x total).  Speed of swap is as important as size
of swap.

DAve.