Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:01:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
Subject:   RE: xl driver for 3Com

This comparison with Linux is completely off. The number of knowledgable
people working on USB for example is equivalent to the ones in FreeBSD.
Most of the people talking on linux-usb are talkers not do-ers.

FreeBSD developers do things in their spare time and they want other
people to respect that. They want to see some investment from the other
side as well to make it worthwhile. And if that trade off is not what
you want, there are companies out there that solve problems for money
(http://www.freebsd.org).

Skipping to another card is short-term thinking. You assume that without
your participation a new driver will be developed for another card, or
another operating system will provide you with services.

Who is 'paying' for that development then?

Cheers,

Nick

 > Well this, I think, is the wrong way. You expect people to know as
 > much as you. I think you can rewrite code on the fly, but
 > many people can't and they need help from hackers like you.
 > There are so many FreeBSD-Hackers who are whining that Linux has so
 > many users and FreeBSD hasn't. If people don't get support because
 > people like you are ignoring them, they won't switch to FreeBSD even
 > if it is much better.
 >

 > Alex

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy