Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:26:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Benson <bradley@softhome.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: outlook mail  was:(RE: Logo merchandise)

[following up to -chat]
On Tuesday, 30 March 1999 at 23:47:19 -0500, Brad Benson wrote:

>> That aside, the key feature of Outlook is the remarkable ability to
>> both piss people off with HTML e-mails while being infected with
>> prank-viruses like Melissa and Happy99.  Those Micro$oft folk are
>> geniuses, aren't they?
>
> First I have to say that I'm not a fan of Microsoft in any way. I also have
> to admit that I use Outlook98. Yes there can be some extremely annoying
> problems with HTML mail and such, but users with a little knowledge can
> easily disable such features. As far as handling large amount of email goes,
> I couldn't survive without the auto sorting features built into outlook. As
> far as prank-viruses go, almost any windows mail program can be dangerous if
> you don't pay attention to the attachments that come in your mail. I think
> it should be said that most people should think about what could be in an
> attachment they weren't expecting.

OK, I think we can agree that any Microsoft mailer can fall prey to
worms such as Melissa, and that most problems with Outlook are due to
incorrect configuration.  On the other hand, it seems that Outlook
encourages incorrect configuration.  I also think that some of its
"features" are brain-damaged.  For more details, take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html.  In particular, if you
can tell me how to stop Outlook from mutilating quoted text from
web page).  What I mean is: how do you get Outlook not to mutilate the
following text when replying?

Greg