Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:02:05 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, wa1ter@hotmail.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: World broken at libkvm

* De: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> [ Data: 2002-09-30 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: World broken at libkvm ]
> Juli Mallett wrote:
> > * De: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> [ Data: 2002-09-30 ]
> > 	[ Subjecte: Re: World broken at libkvm ]
> > > In message: <3D98EF44.8070803@hotmail.com>
> > >             walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > : cc -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -DLIBC_SCCS -I/usr/src/lib/libkvm  -c
> > > : /usr/src/lib/libkvm/kvm_proc.c -o kvm_proc.o
> > > : /usr/src/lib/libkvm/kvm_proc.c: In function `kvm_proclist':
> > > : /usr/src/lib/libkvm/kvm_proc.c:201: structure has no member named `p_sigl
>     ist'
> > >
> > > This has been fixed.  But there's other breakages in the kernel that
> > > are being worked on.
> >
> > And now fixed.  All we have to look out for now is someone doing something
> > that exposes some sort of functional difference, but I don't anticipate it.
>
> Have you dealt with the 'could sleep' stuff with witness turned on? These
> are *guaranteed* panics if the system is low on memory at that given
> instant.  (Witness doesn't cause the problems, it reports fundamental
> problems that are already there.  The system will panic regardless of
> whether witness is there or not.)
>
> I suggest you turn WITNESS on, and stress the system.  If you get *new*
> 'could sleep' stuff or other lock order problems, then there are still
> significant regressions to be fixed.  The last thing we need during the
> 'please stabilize 5.0' drive is newly added problems.  If other folks are
> seeing new ones, please report them here (not to me, I already get too much
> email :-]).

It looks like I'll probably be forced to look at backing this out tomorrow,
if only for the lock issues.  The problem is that sending signals is done
with lots of locks held at the time.  I'm going to try to clean that up
independent of this, once it's sorted, I'll give -arch a holler about this,
but for now it should be safe for anyone who wants to to run these patches
locally, if they get anything out of it other than a perverse kick.

juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org