Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:25:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        doug.poland@omniresources.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2R Installation problem -- Read Error

>  After the bios and vga boot info appears, I get a screen refresh
>  and
>
>  Read error
>
>  as the only message.  Sounds like a MBR problem?  Anyone have a
>  solution other than re-install?

that could be a MBR problem. Boot from the kernel diskette, when the
wheel starts spinning, start typing the command:

 boot> ad(0,a)/kernel -s

if it is a boot block problem on the hard disk, it should now
be booting (into single user mode via the -s flag, drop that
flag if you want to go multiuser.

Below assumes single user mode.

if this work, then I would check the filessytem:

	# fsck -p

mount the root partition

	# mount -u /dev/ad0s1a /	# or whatever is your partition

reload the boot blocks:

	# disklabel -B ad0