Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:03:18 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/archivers Makefile ports/archivers/macutil            Makefile ports/archivers/macutil/files md5            ports/archivers/macutil/patches patch-aa ports/archivers/macutil/pkg            COMMENT DESCR PLIST

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 11:26:07PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> Also, they are usually grouped together even if their functionality
> are diferent, so if we move the extraction-only programs to archivers,
> users will have to search both archivers and emulators to find
> something that can read binhex.
>
> Anyway.  1-0 is hardly a valid vote.  Anybody else want to comment? :)

If they are manipulating files from another format, its an archiver.

If they are doing something with those files other then extracting
or compressing or archiving (like playing them, etc) its an
emulator.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect / Computer Horizons Corp - CVM
e-mail: billf@chc-chimes.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

PS. My archiver definition is ambiguous but I don't want to write
an essay.