Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:15:31 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: Things that I've noticed for powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc...

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> You [Craig Rodrigues] seem to be checking some ??-xtoolchain-gcc things
> officially. I've some user-experience notes from happening to use
> powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc in my exploration of FreeBSD. Hopefully some of it
> might be of interest. It groups together information from various notices
> as I was doing the explorations.

Thanks for doing these investigations.
However, I have to say that your e-mails contain too much detail,
and seem almost like rambling brain dumps.  They are hard to follow, and I
usually stop reading them about one quarter
of the way through the e-mail.  My mind can't absorb all the detail you
are providing.  I cannot speak for other people on the toolchain@ team,
but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other people who feel the same as
I do.

In future, I suggest that you cut down your e-mails to be very concise.
If you can extract the bare minimum of error message, and put that in
the e-mail, with minimal discussion, that would be the best way to start.
For your further analysis and full logs, put those on a web site.
In your e-mail, you can put a URL pointer and tell people if they are still
interested in looking at the problem, they can get the full logs and further
analysis from your web site.

It is even better if you can supply patches which you think fix the problem.

That's the strategy that I have used, and I have found that it has
worked very well, and the toolchain@ team has been super responsive.

toolchain@ folks are very busy, so if you send e-mails which are more
work to digest than the bugs they are trying to fix, they will tend to
ignore
your e-mails.

--
Craig