Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:28:06 +0200
From:      Andreas Rudisch <cyb.@gmx.net>
To:        Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@lajt.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD update

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:47:02 +0200
Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@lajt.hu> wrote:

> FreeBSD Handbook (at the end of section 25.2.2) says:
>
> "However, freebsd-update will always update the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh file.
> The current patch level (as indicated by the -p number reported by uname -r) is obtained
> from this file. Rebuilding your custom kernel, even if nothing else changed, will allow
> uname(1) to accurately report the current patch level of the system."
>
> From this I conclude that if I rebuild the kernel (the general kernel, not a custom kernel),
> it should reflect patch level correctly.

Yes.

> This raises another question: are the updates made sequentially, as p1, p2, etc.?
> This would explain why the kernel stayed at p3 level while the system was updated to
> p4.

Yes.

> I Suppose if the update was done in one step after fetching and applying all
> update patches the kernel should reflect the system's patch level. Is this correct?

Well, it 'should', but it does not, since freebsd-update does not work
that way. p4 did not require rebuilding the kernel, so it had not been
done.

> I am confused a little bit.

Feel free to browse the mailing lists, you are not the first one to be
confused.

Andreas
--
GnuPG key  : 0x2A573565    |    http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/de/
Fingerprint: 925D 2089 0BF9 8DE5 9166  33BB F0FD CD37 2A57 3565