Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:00:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chris Mcneil <cadence4_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i810 Chipset Support?

--- Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:39:06AM -0500, Chris
> Mcneil wrote:
> > I've read the release notes regrading FreeBSD
> 4.5/i386. Will this new
> > release finally support the i810 chipset? FreeBSD
> 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 do not
> > support that chipset.
> >
> I'm writing you from an i810 box with graphics,
> sound, etc. functions
> all well supported.  It's running both 4.5-STABLE
> and 5.0-CURRENT at
> the moment.  It has been supporting i810 since at
> least 4.2, IIRC.
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
> ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,
> ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,
> +380.652.512.251	Simferopol, Ukraine

The problem I had was not being able to find the
chipset in the installation setup for XFree86.  I
resolved this by _NOT_ installing the X Window
distribution sets; but installed XFree86 4.x from the
packages at the end of the installation process.  I
then followed the guidance in the FreeBSD Handbook,
which worked very well.

"5.4.3.1 Configuration with Intel i810 Graphics
Chipsets" can be found at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

(Sorry for the long url.  I hope it wraps correctly.)

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould