Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:22:11 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.net>
To:        Mike s <god@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd.org

hi,

[Follow up replies to -doc. Discussion does not belongs -stable anymore]

Mike please send you next letter to doc@FreeBSD.org only! Thanks!

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 08:15:17PM -0800, Mike s wrote:

> well the freebsd.org site is not what i want to
> replace. I would be willing to
> contribute to it as well. maybe another part of the
> site ( e.g. newbies.freebsd.org )

Please check http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/newbies.html. Maybe you can
contribute something there.

> the different languages would be a problem being that
> i only speak English
> however,

Nobody asks you to translate site. Your task - create very useful site (like
FreeBSD.org) and volonters will translate it anyway.

> mirroring the site will not be difficult if
> it was or was
> not incorporated with freebsd.org,
Sure :)

> i have mirrored the
> php.net site awhile back
> when i first started to learn php and the way they had
> set it up was rather
> simple using rsync to mirror the site and a cron job
> to keep the mirror's up to
> date.
Me too :) As well as FreeBSD.org and apache.org and many others.

> > If you look at the FreeBSD site as it is at the
> moment, you'll see it's
> > mirrored in sixty countries, and translated in to
> five languages.
>
> I never said i wanted to replace freebsd.org. I have
> consistantly said it would
> be a seperate entity entirely. Now you guys are
> opening my mind up to a much
> larger project then i had in mind. Which was initially
> not my intentions.

Try to split this "larger project" for smaller and try to complete them
sequently. If people find your site usefull then they'll help you.

> Documentation for mirroring the freebsd.org site is
> lacking majorily.
> i attempted to do it once and was unsuccesful.

Hmmm... What kind of problem ? I tried to rebuild www site from the scratch
and download complete site -- it worked fine every time.

> > That's a nice idea.  I'd be interested in something
> like this for the
> > FreeBSD site that automatically included a link to
> the outstanding PRs
> > for a piece of documentation.
>
> This part i have almost fully completed the code for.
> Making it work with
> freebsd.org would need a lot of tweaking.

Good example of not well planed work.

> I think it is time for me to write another email to
> recapitulate everythng that
> has been discussed and also clearify some key points
> of interest both on my
> part and what others have suggested to me. Which i
> will do tomorrow sometime.

Yes. It would be nice.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin                       && phantom@cris.net    */