Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:46:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   error when doing make installworld

Hi peeps,

I have tried to update my src with cvsup and got stuck
because of an error while doing make installworld.

My system is an amd64 machine running freebsd 6.1 and
I have performed the steps without problems:
-make buildworld
-make buildkernel kernconf=mykkernel
-make installkernel kernconf=mykernel

Normally I would then immediately follow this sequence
with a mergemaster -p, make installworld and
mergemaster -i and then reboot.

However, this time I decided to check the handbook and
saw that it recommended to do a boot into single user
mode between the step -make installkernel
kernconf=mykernel AND the step mergemaster -p.

So I did it and when I rebooted and saw the beastie
splash screen, I hit option 4. Then I had to press
enter to get to the shell. When I did I noticed I
couldn't cd into the /usr/src directory because the
/usr/src directory was missing!

So I rebooted again into multi-user mode and here I
tried the mergemaster -p but it failed with:

===> lib/libcom_err/doc (install)
lockf -k /usr/share/info/dir  install-info --quiet
--defsection="Programming & development tools."
--defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common
Error Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info
/usr/share/info/dir
install -o root -g wheel -m 444  com_err.info.gz
/usr/share/info
===> lib/libcrypt (install)
install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcrypt.a
/usr/lib
install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcrypt_p.a
/usr/lib
install -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S
libcrypt.so.3 /lib
install: rename: /lib/INS@9du9 to /lib/libcrypt.so.3:
Operation not permitted
*** Error code 71

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcrypt.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
[root@zouk /usr/src]#

So, what to do now???

O yeah, I've been running my system from
securelevel=3, so maybe that has something to do with
this also.

Any help will be appreciated...

(Yes, it's Christmas eve, I know, but hey that gives
me a lot of time to check things out).

Thanks

ps is this bad? Should I start evacuate all my
important files while I'm still able to?