Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:34:33 +0000
From:      Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem due to hostname change

Hi list,
my computer is not part of a domain, and so I had set my hostname to
<old_hostname>.
Now I changed it in rc.conf to <new_hostname>:

~> cat /etc/rc.conf | grep hostname
hostname="<new_hostname>"
~>

I rebooted, but my pc is still somewhere configured to be called <old_hostname>.
First of all, when the pc boots, I see this in dmesg:

FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #10: Wed Mar  9 15:40:46 UTC 2005
    <my_name>@<old_hostname>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GAHR

Then, when I try to start apache, I see this in my
/var/log/httpd-error.log, and apache won't start:

[Thu Mar 17 13:29:11 2005] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
gethostbyname("<old_hostname>")

My question is: how can I change my hostname to <new_hostname> safely,
in a way that the <old_hostname> is not used anymore in any part of
the OS?

Thank you!

--
Pietro Cerutti