Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:51:20 -0400
From:      Jim Campbell <jim-c@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Question About System Update

I've been away from *NIX a few years.  I have been playing with FreeBSD
for a week or so now with mixed results.  I am using release 4.11
because for some reason 5.3 has problems seeing my hard drives.  4.11,
Red Hat Linux and NetBSD have no such trouble.

This afternoon I used the "Updating Sources with CVSup" in the FreeBSD
Cheat Sheets and everything worked as advertized.  I believe that it
advised against using "make world" and suggested that I use "19.4.1 The
Canonical Way to Update Your System" in the Handbook.  I went through
the following steps with no problem:

 # make buildworld
 # make installworld
 # mergemaster
 # reboot

After that, I ran into problems.  It took me a little while to figure
out how to do "boot -s".  However, it appears that a lot of the
directories aren't mounted and the next scripts aren't in the path.  For
example, I can't figure out how to do the "mergemaster -p".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim Campbell