Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 14:09:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: OSF Micro Kernel for Linux/FreeBSD/etc

> FreeBSD hackers -
> I received a copy of this from a friend who does a lot of PowerPC work.
> Since I've seen nothing about this on the FreeBSD lists as yet, I thought
> some of you might like to know about this new frontier. The article
> mentions FreeBSD, but perhaps the discussion is more germane to NetBSD.

Mklinux has already seen it's second release.  I gather the "port" is
far from complete.  It also seems to be suffering from some holes in the
installation documentation... ;-)  I think most of the work to date
has been coordinated out of OSF Grenoble.

> Is the FreeBSD core team open to the idea of possibly moving to a Mach
> 3.0 micro-kernel, or is there significant sentimental attachment to
> the traditional, monolithic BSD kernel?

Um, speaking *mostly* from ignorance but I think Mklinux is implemented
as a single-server atop Mach.  So, in that sense, it's still a monolithic
kernel (albeit residing atop a microkernel).  I don't think they've really
gone too far afield and tried for a multi-server...  Can someone shed any
more light on this?