Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:26:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Daniel Haischt <abysswo1@webking.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for SB AWE32

On 02-Jan-99 Daniel Haischt wrote:
> HIYA
>
> Recently I recompiled my kernel with support for my SB AWE 32 card.
> Regarding to the instructions on:
>
> http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/awepnp-freebsd.txt

> Some basic information:
> OS ver: FreeBSD 2.2.7
> Soundcard: SoundBlaster AWE 32 (some early version)
> Soundcard device in /dev : snd0

> I included the following lines in my kernel configuration file:
>
> option                USERCONFIG_BOOT
> controller    pnp0
> controller    snd0
> device                sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
>#device                sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
> device                sbmidi  at isa? port 0x330
> device                opl     at isa? port 0x338
> device                awe0    at isa? port 0x620
>#device                joy0    at isa? port "IO_GAME"
>
> Note1: A included sbxvi device leads to a system crash during the boot
> process.
> Note2: A included joy0 device causes a config err if I run
> /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> Note3: My joystick device is attached to my SounBlaster card

> Below is the content of the kernel.config file:
>
> USERCONFIG
> pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2
> 0x388
> pnp 1 1 os disable
> pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20
> pnp 1 3 os disable
> quit

> Below is the output I'll get on each system startup:
>
> sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
> sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
> snd0: <MIDI not found>
> opl0 at 0x388 on isa
> snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
> awe at 0x620 on isa
> awe0: <AWE not found>

> Below are the configuration settings got from the DOS program
> diagnose.exe
>
> Base I/O address 220H
> MPU-401 MIDI port 330H
> IRQ 5
> Low DMA 1
> High DMA 5
> Wave-Table 620H

> Now a couple of questions:
>
> Why crashes a included sbxvi0 device my system?
> Why do I get a midi not found msg?
> Why do I get a awe not found msg?
> Why do I get a config err if I include a joy0 device
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards

Unless I'm mistaken, FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not include intrinsic support for
the AWE cards.  Have you also downloaded and applied the kernel patches
from Randall Hopper's site?  If so, did all the patches apply without error?

Could we see your complete kernel configuration file?  Do you have any
other devices in your configuration that could be causing an IRQ/DRQ
conflict?

Surely, there's an explanation as to why you're having problems.
Hopefully, we'll be able to find it.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>

"I'm a creationist; I refuse to believe that I could have evolved from
man."