Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:08:32 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Syslogd Behaves Oddly after Network Trouble.

	I wish I could better describe this problem, but it is never
quite the same each time it happens.

	A FreeBSD4.7 system acts as a syslog server for various pieces
of network gear.  We also have shell scripts that call an executable
which generates a syslog message at the crit level.  We have
syslog.conf set to send crit and higher messages to all logged-in
terminals.

	After we have a fit of network instability involving routers,
syslog has done everything from die to selectively continue to work,
handling some messages, but skipping critical, for example.

	A kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid` only resets the status
quo in that syslog continues to run unchanged.

	The only thing that fixes syslog is to completely kill it and
restart it, at which point, it is perfectly good again.

	Syslog on this system is started in the normal way with no
flags so we can receive the remote traffic from other systems.

	If this sounds familiar and anyone has hardened their syslogd
to, in the words of the old Timex watch commercials, "take a lickin'
and keep on tickin'," I would like to know, please.

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group