Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:09:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Everett Batey <efbatey@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Advice replacing Xorg with XFree86_4

On Friday 17 June 2005 07:53 pm, Everett Batey wrote:
> Two weeks of fighting with Xorg on FreeBSD_4 ..
>
> CAN ANYONE tell me the steps for hopefully
>   deleting Xorg and
>   replacing with XFree86_4.
> That runs fine with my KM3M-V on board video ..
>
> PLEASE,  I hate to think of leaving BSD after this
> many years on my servers.

You pkg_delete anything that starts with xorg-* and imake. Change
make.conf to have
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4

You might be able to get away with just installing XFree86-4.5.0,1 and
imake but I have a tendancy to think Murphy will get involved. If that
happens, you will need to bebuild most/all of your ports that use
XFree86.

If you didn't do that when you installed xorg, that could be part of
your problem.

FWIW, xorg doesn't work well on my FreeBSD-4.x systems. I installed it,
got tired of not being able to switch between the Spanish keyboard
layout and English and reinstalled everything that had been built with
XFree86. I had packages on an almost identical computer, so it wasn't a
big deal and did a package install of everything.

Other than the layout, it worked just fine, so, you have other problems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA