Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 09:55:55 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: atapci0 error with 4.0!

Thanks for your reply, Crist.

>>The ATA driver currently will not work with either the RZ100x or the
>>CMD640.  It panics.  This is a known issue, but the maintainer
>>considers it low priority since both of these chipsets are broken,
>>could cause data loss, and shouldn't be used anyway.  Perhaps you
>>should pick up a Promise IDE controller for about $30.

Well, It'll be interesting to see if FreeBSD 5.0 drops support for Pentium
chips with the F00F bug. After all, they're broken and shouldn't be used
anyway, too...

This machine, broken chipset and all, worked fine for four years as a
Windows 95/98 machine under a heavy load of AutoCAD and structural
engineering software with no problems at all. It spent the last 18 months as
a FreeBSD machine, again with no problems at all (this 4.0 one is the first
kernel panic I've seen).

I wish the maintainer would reconsider fixing this, since it obviously works
in FreeBSD <= 3.4, and in Windows...and there are probably lots of these
machines out there. I mean, FreeBSD still supports 386s and 486s, but not
early Pentiums???

Ok, enough ranting. Anybody know anything about these Promise controllers?
Are they PCI? $30, sound like an acceptable solution.

>Note that one thing I said was incorrect, if I build a kernel with no
>ATA support, it will boot... but a lot of good that does me. Although
>I could make the system all SCSI. An all SCSI P90... that would be
>neat, huh?

It would be pretty cool, but it kinda defeats the purpose of giving a second
life to that old computer...

Thanks,

--Dan

--