Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:47:42 +0800
From:      "Kathy Quinlan" <kat-free@kaqelectronics.dyndns.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Networking problem

I have a friend who can not get his FreeBSD 5.2 server to act as a
gateway, from the internal network we can ping the external network
card, but no further. From the server we can ping the entire world.

I had him bring it over and set up my server (FreeBSD 4.8R as the
gateway) so I now have:

<ISP>----<My Server>-------<his Server>-------<laptop>

>From the laptop I can ping as far as the external nic on his server.
>From his server I can ping the world.

I have googled, looked at the mailing list, but can not find the problem
:o( I have re installed the server, incase he goofed up, same problem, I
have swapped the external network card, same problem.

Netstat -rn shows the default gateway (as my server)

In rc.conf it has gateway_enable="YES"

I am out of ideas

Regards,

Kat.