Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 11:51:01 +0000
From:      sean <sean3r@cfl.rr.com>
To:        Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise UDMA66 raid modifications

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Good Morning !
>
> Hopefully you can ease my ignorance, in that I too would welcome
> inexpensive hardware raid5, but primarily for data integrity, not
> performance.
>
> But, as I understand it, a modern cpu is so much faster than when hdw
> raid made sense, in that it was relatively, at that time, a much faster
> application, that it was cost/performance effective. Since slow ide
> drives/cpu made scsi raid appealing then, fast cpus [500mhz&up] and
> software raid now, oldstyle scsi/hdw raid can only with difficulty be
> cost justified, except for the most demanding applications.
>
> All that said, if there is no software to enhance the controller change,
> other than Vinum, which is usable with the unaltered card, why change it
> ?
>
> How would it function better, since I assume you would still use Vinum,
> or is this wrong ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Courtney

 hello, thanks for your quick repsonses. Well, it wasnt so much really
that i wanted to get any more data integrity or performance out of my
box. i bought the card a few months ago off and friend, and it came
obsolete when i bought a new motherboard that supported UDMA66 anyway, i
was just doing it for fun (besides the fact i wouldnt trust any hardware
*I* modified to go into a production server) :) i was just wondering if
i could get some more use out of an old card. thanks for helping though.
sean