Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:33:57 +0100
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        "James E. Housley" <housley@frenchknot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        hetzels@westbent.net, rse@engelschall.com, dirk@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: apache 1.3.x-{what ever}

James E. Housley wrote:

> I was trying to upgrade/switch from apache13-modssl to apache13-fp to
> experiment with fp.  I was done playing with ssl for the moment.  The
> problem/annoyance I came across is that they don't use the same data
> directory by default.  And it was very difficult to force fp to use the
> ${PREFIX}/share/apache directory that -modssl was using.
>
> apache13-fp/Makefile:            --datadir=${PREFIX}/www \
> apache13-modssl/Makefile:               --datadir=${PREFIX}/share/apache
> \
> apache13-php3/Makefile:         --datadir=${PREFIX}/share/apache \
> apache13-ssl/Makefile:          --datadir=${PREFIX}/www \
> apache13/Makefile:               --datadir=${PREFIX}/www \
>
> There seems to be two distict camps.  It might be benificial to decide
> on one of the two locations.  Just my opinion.

My own preference would be for the ports to do the same thing as the
underlying package would have done, given no arguments to "make
install". However, for hysterical reasons, I'm maintaining the layout
that I inherited when I took over the port... But I agree - it would be
nice if these were unified.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (181) 742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (181) 742 5995