Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:24:17 +0100
From:      Bjorn Eikeland <bjorn@eikeland.info>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: web based configuration as root or equivalent

På Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:27:21 -0600, skrev Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.
<kdk@daleco.biz>:

> Bjorn Eikeland wrote:
>
>> I'm wanting to make a web based configuration tool for my wireless
>> routers
>> (setting up freebsd boxes to make a outdoor wlan) - ofcourse I can use
>> ssh
>> and webmin, but the configuration should be made even easier for less
>> technical users.
>>
>> I've read the how to use Webmin with apache, didnt quite folllow the
>> procedure, but bear with me..
>>
>> chown scripts to root (chown -R root:root /var/www/cp)
>> chmod w/suid (chmod -R 755 /var/www/cp)
>>
>> add -U flag to perl line, what does this do? is there a php knob like
>> this?
> What is the "perl line"....?  What does it do?  PHP can certainly
> do chmod and chown ....

find . -name "*.cgi" -o -name "*.pl" | perl perlpath.pl "/usr/bin/perl -U"
-

Its from the webmin docs, on how to run webmin through apache, it goes
through the scrips and add -U to the #!/usr/bin/perl line in each script.

Is something similar needed to achieve the same effect with php? (The goal
is to have the php script execute with root privelegies)

>> chown the scripts back to www (chown -R www:www /var/www/cp)
>> chmod rwx to www (chmod -R 700 /var/www/cp)
>>
>> or am I stuck with compiling apache with D_BIG_SECURITY_HOLE?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Bjorn
>
> Your mailer, or some mailer between you and freebsd.org,
> is one month off (in the past) ... some people may not see
> your message for this reason...

Indeed it was - been a long day, cmos battery needs replacing and it seems
it's easy to get the date wrong when someone flips your calandar over to
january to look at last months joke... *sigh*