Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:47:32 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        thierry@herbelot.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Subject:   Re: Symbolic link to the ports tree [was Re: bug in patching phase of cups-pstoraster]

El Martes, 28 de Junio de 2005 20:21, Thierry Herbelot escribi=F3:
> Le Tuesday 28 June 2005 19:49, Jose M Rodriguez a =E9crit :
> > No, that's how this works.  I can also point to several ports that
> > uses this kind of construct that will break without PORTSDIR.
> >
> > This is pointed by ports(7) and the notes on
> > ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk.
>
> I won't argue : I had an issue, and you gave me a solution.
> I just said my setup was not in contradiction with the instructions
> in the ports man page (as the default PORTSDIR was correctly pointing
> to a full ports tree), and the build was still failing
>
> > I can make the construct based on CURDIR, but this is the most
> > often see form of doing depends.
>
> No : your makefile is easier to read with PORTSDIR
>
> I have proposed an addition to the man page to avoid this problem in
> the future (still not completely satisfying as some other people may
> fall in the same trap as me)

I'm not sure about that.

The correct path is define PORTSDIR if you don't use the default=20
(/usr/ports).  But you don't have any need to define a symlink=20
from /usr/ports.

You've allready done this with WRKDIRPREFIX and may be done with=20
DISTDIR, PACKAGES and other env.

In fact, I remember this kind of problems with OpenBSD/NetBSD src when=20
use symlinks instead of env defs (BSDSRCDIR, I think).

=2D-
  josemi