Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:01:56 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LAN Internet

On Friday 25 June 2004 01:23 pm, sd sdfg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie and please excuse for my poor language.
> I have FreeBSD 4.9 and my computer is in LAN with other people. One
> of our friends is the host of the internet. I have all the data
> required to connect to the internet, but I do not know how. My
> network interface card is correctly installed, I can ping the IPs in
> the LAN. But when I try to access some web adress with the web
> browser Konqueror, I fail.
>
> Can you please tell what should I set up in order to have internet or
> give me some link that may be helpful. I've searched in tha handbook,
> but couldn't find.
>
> Thank you!

Since you can ping the other computers on the LAN, we can assume your
computer is configured for the LAN, and is just missing the information
needed to send and receive packets to/from the internet.  This assumes
that your computer isn't blocked by a firewall.

If your computer receives a dynamic IP address, talk to the person who
administers the DHCP server.  dhclient should receive all the
information it needs to configure your network automatically.

If your computer has a static IP address on the LAN, you need to
manually designate the gateway computer and nameservers.

If the gateway computer's IP address is 192.168.0.1, you can execute the
following on the command line as root:

	route add default 192.168.0.1

Add the following to /etc/rc.conf to establish the gateway at bootup:

	defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"

Nameserver information is stored in /etc/resolv.conf.  I don't
think /etc/resolv.conf exists when the system is initially installed,
so you'll need to create it:

	touch /etc/resolv.conf

Then add the search domain and nameserver IP address to the file.  My
file looks like this:

	search cablelynx.com
	nameserver 24.204.0.4 24.204.0.5

You'll need to use information that is specific to your ISP.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould