Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:06:46 +0200
From:      Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
To:        Chris Collins <collins@collins-ca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system power profile

--=-shZJTKcNhhtCBRJjaz1l

Am Thu, 2003-08-07 um 06.23 schrieb Chris Collins:
> Hello
>=20
> I have been running 5.1-stable on my Vaio 505GL for about a week now and
> things are working great. I am still trying to figure out a few things th=
at
> hopefully some of you can help me with.
>=20
> I have noticed that when my laptop boots is selects a system power profil=
> 'economy' and I have also noticed a few times it has changed to profile
> 'performance'.  My question is how can I define what these profiles are a=
nd
> how can I select them manually myself.=20
The economy profile is selected when your laptop runs on battery power,
the performance profile when it is running on AC. (Some BIOS may allow
to select the profile preference also)

You can use the hw.acpi.cpu.economy_speed and .performance_speed sysctl
to select the amount of CPU throttling. The hw.acpi.cpu.current_speed
contains the current speed :) and .max_speed contains the highest
possible value.

Select the profile by unplugging/plugging-in your AC connector *g

>=20
> The second thing that I cannot seem to figure out is how to change the sc=
reen
> brightness. Can somebody point me in the right direction, I am not sure w=
here
> to even begin.=20
Your laptop should provide controls for that (mine has Fn+F[7-10] to
change brightness and contrast)

HTH,
--=20
Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>