Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:42:41 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: add widely accepted _ISOC99_SOURCE

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:49:43 -0500, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > 1) Any _POSIX_C_SOURCE with _ISOC99_SOURCE. It is from real life example
> > (ImageMagick). It wants lower POSIX level, *but* wants _ISOC99_SOURCE in
> > the same time.
>
> I don't like this at all.  The meaning of _ANSI_SOURCE is that the
> source is exclusively written in C89 with no BSD, POSIX, or XSI
> extentions.  Similarly, I was intending _C99_SOURCE to be used without
> any POSIX.  Programs looking for C99+POSIX functions should specify
> POSIX.1-2001, which incorporates both of these.

What to do, if, say, C99 program want to use some POSIX functions from
lower (and not from higher) POSIX standard?

Currently we have problem with ImageMagick - undefined prototypes for
vsnprintf() and other like, because it wants right that:

magick/studio.h:
#define _GNU_SOURCE  1
#define _ISOC99_SOURCE  1
#define _POSIX_C_SOURCE  199506L